Welcome to the Cloud Native Asturias May'21 event! On this occasion, we have two amazing speakers that bring to the table their cloud-related talks.
Note: All talks will be driven in English
How to manage GitHub organizations with Terraform
Guillermo Vigil, DevOps Engineer at Empathy.co
Terraform provides a lot of different providers, one of them is the GitHub provider. We are going to manage an entire GitHub organization in a repository as Infrastructure as Code from scratch.
Guillermo is part of the Platform Engineering team at Empathy and he's in love with DevOps mindset and automation steps. Recently, Guillermo achieved the Terraform Associate and CKAD certification and now he's preparing for the CKA certification.
Lean Product Development With SLOs
Josh Armitage, DevOps Practitioner, Kubernetes Evangelist at Contino
How can you strip over-processing out of your value stream?, How can you understand and communicate what "good enough" looks like?, How can you systematically challenge and remove assumptions from your consumers?. In supporting enterprises in DevOps & agile transformations across three continents, I discovered a common theme, stories talk of what is to be enabled, but not how well it needs to perform.
Recently, upon joining a platform team drowning under the weight of their backlog, I experimented with SLOs being the beating heart of our product development flow.
To do this, we:
- Revisited all previous core use cases and determined meaningful SLIs and SLOs
- Made SLOs an inherent part of defining features
- Built a lightweight infrastructure to translate technical changes to business events
- Made a dashboard to transparently broadcast our SLOs
- Made SLOs be the core of conversations with our consumers
By doing this, we:
- Removed assumptions from consumers, driving more meaningful conversations about value
- Created a beachhead for a more data-driven culture
- Created a common understanding of what "good enough" looked like
- Became better focused on maximising value delivery, over redundant gold plating of features
- How to adopt an SLO driven product development flow
- From the mistakes we made along the way
- Tips and tricks for defining SLOs for low-frequency use cases
- How to drive more impactful conversations
Known for a booming voice and distinct lack of a sense of humor, Josh works as a consultant after spending time with everything from mainframes to machine learning and kubernetes. Having split his life half in the UK, half in Australia, he's now back in London helping regulated enterprises embrace lean software development, cloud native architectures and team happiness as a true north metric.