Cloud Native Wales Meetup v1.2.0

DevOpsGroup - Floor 22 Capital Tower Cardiff, CF10 3AG - View Map Cardiff
Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 6:00 PM (BST)

About this event

# Welcome

We're Cloud Native Wales and we want to talk all things Cloud Native!

## Agenda

### Elton Stoneman (@EltonStoneman) / Developer Advocate @ Docker

#### Talking about Service Meshes – Linkerd and Istio in particular.

It’s a technical session so there are lots of demos, but it’s grounded in the practical question – do you really need a service mesh, and is it worth the cost? You’ll learn what a service mesh can do, and how it helps to cut a lot of infrastructure concerns from your code.

Elton is a Pluralsight Author, Microsoft MVP and Developer Advocate at Docker, Inc. He's been architecting and delivering successful solutions with Microsoft technologies since 2000, most recently Big Data and API implementations in Azure and distributed applications with Docker.

Currently he is interested in the expansion of the Microsoft stack outside of the normal boundaries; exploring the great opportunities opening up with .NET Core running on Linux, Windows Containers, and Docker running on Azure. Elton is a regular speaker at events and user groups.

Check out his blogs on https://blog.sixeyed.com/

### Oliver Pomeroy / Solutions Engineer @ Docker

#### Integrating Containers to CI/CD Pipelines

Enterprises often want to provide automation and standardisation on top of their container platform, using a pipeline to build and deploy their containerized applications. However this opens up new challenges… Do I have to build a new CI/CD Stack? Can I build my CI/CD pipeline with Kubernetes orchestration? What should my build agents look like? How do I integrate my pipeline into my enterprise container registry?

In this session full of examples and “how-to”s, Olly will guide you through common situations and decisions related to your pipelines. We’ll cover building minimal images, scanning and signing images, and give examples on how to enforce compliance standards and best practices across your teams.

Oliver is a Solution Engineer at Docker, based out of the London office he supports the adoption of Docker Enterprise Edition within our largest UK customers. He comes from an infrastructure background having worked as a Solution Engineer and Technical Presales at Hewlett Packard helping customers adopt the latest datacentre technologies.

### Adam Taylor (a_taylor95) / Developer @ Carsnip

#### What Is Groovy? And Why Should You Care (Lightning Talk)

I want to get people up to speed on the basics of Groovy and highlight some of the benefits with a focus on how it can improve the life of a Java developer.

Adam is a developer at Carsnip, a used car search engine based in Cardiff. Adam has been a Groovy enthusiast for just over 2 years, using it on a daily basis and want to share the joy of Groovy with the community.

## Who is this for

We aim to build a community for discussion and support and will welcome anyone that wants to attend.

## Feedback / Content

Please contact either of the organisers if you want to:

* Give a talk
* Get more information regarding the Meetup
* Talk about sponsorship
* Any other suggestions or support

## Food & Drinks
As always, thanks to DevOpsGroup, food and drinks will be provided. If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know.

When

Thursday, Jul 4
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (BST)

Where

DevOpsGroup
Floor 22 Capital Tower Cardiff, CF10 3AG