A round table discussion on Interplanetary communication & time dilation
- How does a quartz crystal help manage time in wrist watches?
- Why did we need Atomic clocks?
- What is time dilation? and why do we need to worry about it ?
- How do we adjust for/synchronize clocks between earth and it's orbiting satellites?
- Do things differ when communicating with a geo synchronous satellites?
- How about inter satellite communication (orbiting around same target[Earth])
- How would a system like Starlink manage realtime calculation of shortest path to and fro? What role does time-dilation play in such a system if any?
- Atomic clocks on satellites(GPS)
How does accounting for time dilation differ when communicating from earth to a Mars satellite?
These are only a few of the questions we have, we wouldn't necessarily have all the answers but we hope to have a informed discussion.
- Chapter 3 (sec 3.4) of ("Distributed Computing Principles Algorithms and Systems by Ajay D Kshemkalyani & Mukesh Singhal")
- Fundamentals of Distributed Computing: A Practical Tour of Vector Clock Systems by Roberto Baldoni
You should read up on the reference material above, people who go through the reading material may be able to have a more fruitful discussion.