In this workshop, Stefan will walk you through the steps of applying GitOps to your Kubernetes infrastructure and app delivery.
We'll start by creating a Kubernetes cluster, then we'll be using the Flux CLI to make the cluster sync its state from a Git repository hosted on GitHub. Stefan will explain the magic behind Flux bootstrap and how Flux is able to upgrade itself unattended from Git.
- Next, we'll set up our first GitOps pipeline for continuous deployment using Flux Helm Releases.
- We'll see how Flux streamlines the delivery of Helm charts onto Kubernetes with automatic upgrades, testing, and rollback.
- To showcase the Helm integration, we'll deploy the Flux Web UI (Weave GitOps) from an OCI Helm chart hosted on GitHub Container Registry. Throughout the workshop, we'll be using the Web UI to monitor and debug the GitOps pipelines.
- Next, we'll onboard applications onto the cluster by creating a pipeline that deploys a demo app from a container registry source. Stefan will explain the differences between Git and OCI sources, and how app teams can use the Flux CLI in their CI pipelines to ship both the app container and its Kubernetes config to production without direct access to the cluster API.
- Finally, we'll discuss how Flux integrates with Kustomize to facilitate multi-cluster deployments and how to structure our GitOps repository to promote apps from staging environments to production in a safe and automated manner.
Major Enterprise Software companies, SREs, Cloud Native enthusiasts, Platform Engineers & anyone interested in learning how to streamline the Continuous Delivery process.
Intermediate, primarily targeted at people familiar with Kubernetes architecture.
60 minutes step-by-step workshop.
To follow this workshop you’ll need a Kubernetes cluster and a GitHub personal access token (PAT). It is recommended to generate a new GitHub PAT that can create repositories by checking all permissions under `repo`.
To install the Flux CLI please see the instructions here https://fluxcd.io/flux/installation/#install-the-flux-cli.