May 2016 Microservices Meetup

Pivotal Labs Cambridge - 255 Main St. Cambridge - View Map Cambridge
Tue, May 3, 2016, 6:00 PM (EDT)

About this event

Hello Microservices enthusiasts,

We had fantastic turnout and response for our last event with Adrian Cockcroft. I have already uploaded the slides of that presentation to meetup and one of the attendees (Thanks Bryan) has also shared an audio recording for anyone interested.

Our next event is now scheduled on May 3rd. We have another great speaker with an interesting topic lined up. Since Pivotal labs did such a good job hosting us and taking care of us, we are going back to the same venue. I hope we will have same level of participation as our last event.

Details: 

Thanks to the Pivotal Labs team for offering to host our event at their office in Cambridge.

Meetup Agenda:

Introduction: Ajit Umrani, Assembla

Featured Guest Speaker:  Mark Richards, Independent Consultant and Author

Mark Richards is an experienced, hands-on software architect involved in the architecture, design, and implementation of microservices architectures, service-oriented architectures, and distributed systems in J2EE and other technologies. He founded the New England Java Users Group and served as president from 1999 through 2003. Mark is the author of numerous technical books and videos. He is a regular conference speaker at the No Fluff Just Stuff (NFJS) Symposium Series and has spoken at more than 100 conferences and user groups around the world on a variety of enterprise-related technical topics. You can read more about this background and publications here.

Topic - Microservices anti-patterns and pitfalls

Even though teams are gaining more experience in designing and developing microservices, nevertheless there is still a lot to learn about this highly distributed and somewhat complicated architecture style. Unfortunately, lots of microservices anti-patterns and pitfalls emerge during this learning curve. Learning about these anti-patterns and pitfalls early on can help you avoid costly mistakes during your development process. While anti-patterns are things that seem like a good idea at the time and turn out bad, pitfalls are those practices that are never a good idea at the time - ever. In this talk Mark will cover some of the more common pitfalls and anti-patterns you might encounter while creating microservices, and most importantly describe some of the ways of avoiding these pitfalls and anti-patterns.

Directions:

Address: Pivotal Labs, 145 Broadway, Cambridge MA 02142

It's at the corner of Broadway and Galileo Galilei Way. It's easily accessible by public transport. There is metered parking on broadway and a paid lot next door called "the blue garage". 

Other Announcements:

1)  Please checkout this event hosted by Alex Benik at Battery Ventures. Peter Bailis is a great speaker and is doing research on next-generation data-intensive systems. I am sure it is going to be a great talk. 

2)  Need volunteers: I am looking for couple of volunteers to come out a little early on the day of the event to help me setup the venue. If you can pitch in, then please reach out to me.

Best,

Ajit Umrani.

When

Tuesday, May 3
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM (EDT)

Where

Pivotal Labs Cambridge
255 Main St. Cambridge